Turret & Panelled Entrance

The Mansion-house was built by Robert Fitzroy Bell, Esq., Advocate, in 1897. The building was carried out by Steel of Greenlaw, who also built Melville House Coldingham, and Rathburne House Longformacus.

The stone came from Swinton Quarry, by horse drawn cart using two horses, the builders stayed in business until a few years ago.

The house was L shaped, with outside stairs to the rear, kitchen etc in the basement the interior consisted of Wood Panelled Hall and Stair Case, Hidden Door in Wood panel to staircase in Tower at one end, Four Reception Rooms, Billiard Room, Sixteen Bedrooms and Dressing Rooms, Three Bath Rooms, Domestic Quarters, Stables, Garage, and Chauffeurs Rooms.


Temple Hall Cottages

The garden consisted of a glasshouse, orchard and vegetable garden running down towards Paradise.

Jimmy Wright lived at Temple Hall Lodge and worked as gardener/handyman, on retirement he lived in Kerrlynn cottage Coldingham. Jimmy was at Temple Hall at the time of building and was in charge of the carts driving the stone from Swinton Quarry.

Temple Hall Cottages

Additional Info

At one time a Home for the Blind and Deaf adults, Miss Isobel Holywell's aunt Ella was cook at the time of Elderly Residents.

About 1942 it was a Boys Home (Approved School) for boys from Edinburgh. In 1947 the House was burnt down by ongoing work causing an electrical fault. Fire Brigades from Local Stations and Edinburgh attended pumping water from the burn.

There were no casualties and Jock Holywell used his lorry to evacuate residents to the Village Hall for the rest of the night. Probably other villagers would be helping.

In the 1930's the land was farmed by the Ellis family then the Drysdale family, in the late 40's the property was bought by John Rae who cleared away the house rubble and built a new bungalow in same position, then in the 1960's the farm was occupied by Jimmy Dickson.